Sunday, August 16, 2009

X-Rays and Fish





I canceled my physical torture session for Friday. I knew I had a busy day a head of me for Saturday and I couldn't afford to run the risk of having yet another "recovery weekend". Wednesday's session went great. They used the electro-stim and hot packs on me (lovely!) followed by some kind of strange finger tip massage technique done by Kierstin.(or as I know her, Magic Hands) This was exactly what I needed...relax the muscles (and possibly that pesky nerve that's getting some action in there too) and don't irritate anything by trying to build it up. I left happy Wednesday.

Friday was the day I was to have x-rays on my back. That little guy that lives in the back of my head keeps telling me that x-rays are not necessary; that the problem is all muscle and a little nerve involvement. But what the hell does he know? So I went for the x-rays.

When I got there the room was full. Don't any of these people work? I knew I'd have to wait. (we are not a society of people who like to wait are we?) I took a chair next to a fish tank. Lots of doctors and dentist have fish tanks..usually the really big ones...the kind I look at and say to myself (there's that little guy again) how do they clean these things? I immediately capture the attention of a few very brightly colored fish. They must have been as bored as I was. But I also noticed quickly that other fish came over and every one of them seemed to be acting aggressively to all the others. Like they were all trying to stake out the same area to watch me and were resentful that it was getting crowded at that end.

One poor fish was being picked on unmercifully by every other fish in there. He was too small to be in that tank with so many bigger fish. Poor little guy! One side fin was stubby and ragged and his tail was even worse. He kept dodging to get out of the way and hovering towards the surface. He looked like he'd been in a fish bar fight and didn't come out the winner. I don't think he was going to live much longer. He had all the signs of a fish that was going to be checking out soon.

So I kept watching all these fish and eventually I started thinking that it was odd to have so many fish in this one tank. I leaned forward to see the long side of the tank and realized it was a HUGE tank but almost all the fish were down my end jocking around to get a good position to look at me! The only ones that seemed to be immune to my charms were the huge catfish looking guys that live in the bottom for the most part. One of them had white eyes so maybe he was blind?
I got up to get a magazine after I'd been waiting for some time. Other people were coming in..every one had that look of "oh crap" once they saw how full the room was getting. When I got up and walked by the long side of the tank to get the magazine...all the fish followed me! I saw this and slowly turned (now I'm watching them) and walked back to my seat, then back again to the magazines. I'm not even pretending to get another magazine at this point I'm just watching these freaky fish. All the bright colors; stripes and spots followed me every where I went..watching me and moving when I did!!
I sat back down in my chair and the crowd came back to their positions. What the hell is wrong with these fish?!

Then I glanced over at a guy that was directly across from me. He's laughing! He looked at me and said you're aware you are being stalked by fish, right? I started laughing too..he'd been watching the whole time and saw it all. I asked him if he knows anything about fish, why they would do that. He said no, only that they aren't very good at stalking because they are being pretty obvious about it.

Soon after that it was my turn to go in for a healthy dose of radiation. That went fairly smoothly..a little uncomfortable in one position they put me in but no big deal. On my way out the guy was still there. As I opened the door to leave he asked if I was going to take my stalkers home with me. They were all at the opposite end looking at me again! I laughed and told him no, they know how to find me!

My day wasn't done by a long shot. I had to get over to Sun Valley to help set up for Phil's Memorial Benefit. I soon forgot all about my adoring fish fans.