Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Missed the boat


I'm feeling kind of bummed today. For about a week or so I've been working on getting an Irish Setter puppy from a shelter. I had lots of questions (why is the whole litter of pure bred setters in the shelter?) and a streak of basic, full blown fear running through my stomach every time I thought of getting another puppy. It's not that I don't want a puppy. I really do. It's the thought of replacing Allie, which my mind refuses to do and a fear that I will end up with a sickly dog.

For those of you that knew Allie, I don't need to explain. For those of you that didn't know Allie, well I loved her with my whole heart but she had so many medical issues that I formed my whole life around taking care of her. There was nothing I wouldn't do for her...and precious little I didn't do for her. I learned a great deal of medical knowledge and I credit her for all my knowledge of herbs. It was Allie's medical issues that pushed me in the herbal direction. I didn't want to keep her on the medications that the vets were pushing...knowing that they would shorten her life and they never took the symptoms completely away anyway. It just wasn't a good enough trade off. And I shutter to think of the money that I spent on her for vet bills; grocery bills (I made all her food); allergy injections; testing; medications; and tons and tons of herbs. She was a money pit but she was my best friend. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't cut corners anywhere. Her love for me was far and away payment enough for everything I did for her.


HOWEVER, I don't think I would willingly take on another dog with that many medical problems and once I take a dog from the shelter bringing them back is not an option. It's a commitment I take very seriously. So of course, I'm mildly terrified on more than one level!


I had conversations with the shelter lady, sent her my application, and now I haven't heard back from her. I called again and got a message that made me think she has gone on vacation. I checked the website and the pups are not up there anymore. Sounds to me like I missed the boat. There was only two pups left...a boy and a girl. I was interested in the girl.


Part of me is saying you blew it...and another part is saying it wasn't meant to be. Somewhere inside me I have this feeling that when it's right, it will happen. I probably won't be prepared no matter when it happens (at least not emotionally) but I sort of expect this puppy to come to me in a way that will trip that feeling in me that says "of course I'm your mommy".


But all is not lost anyway. I still have a woman in Vermont who breeds very high quality Irish Setters. I've talked to her and I put an application in a long time ago with her. The only problem is that her dogs have refused to go into heat and she doesn't know why. She was supposed to have bred one dog in June for pups to be ready to go sometime in October. That didn't happen so now we're playing a waiting game. If they go into heat too late there's a problem with the pups being born in the middle of winter. Do I want a small puppy in the middle of winter? (hell yes and no way are fighting for position on that question) My first Irish, Charlotte was a very young dog in her first winter...that wasn't pretty when it came to potty training. But if that should happen I will probably totally cave and take a pup. (how bad can it be?) Potty training doesn't last forever.

The pictures above are not of my dogs. But every Irish Setter is the same and yet they are all different. If you look at enough of them you will find your dog there. I hope I find mine soon.