Sunday, August 30, 2009

Game Night









Some of the usual crew showed up for this game night. And it was a complete surprise to me. If I had known ahead of time I would have done up some good snacks. I always have good snacking foods when given a little warning.
So this time I had about 10 mins warning that a game night was planned and shortly afterward they started arriving.
The games this night were new to me....the first one being called "Buzz Word" and the second one "Smart Ass". They were both very good games. In Buzz Word you play in teams and one person picks a card; the other person has to guess the answers. The card has a word on it that is your buzz word. That word is in the answer. Clues are read out and the other person has to guess the phrase (with the buzz word in it) for each clue given. It was funny as hell watching them struggle to come up with a phrase when others at the table are desperately trying to hold back the answer they think it is. You're inclination is to just yell it out but you can't. And it's interesting to find out how many common phrases aren't quite as common as you think they are. Sometimes I had answers that I thought everyone knew and no one else did...and vice a versa. And it's equally funny to hear the wrong answers blurted out and the groans that came out of the other players. Oh and did I forget to mention that each partner is timed? Each person has about a minute to answer all the clues. That adds that certain extra spark of panic to your thinking process. (which accounts for the screwed up versions of the phrases that came flying out of our mouths) And sometimes you're just laughing so hard you can't spit it out in time!
Most of us did take breaks to "work our farms" (Farmville) which is another game we are all playing on line together. It's a game where you have a farm of your own; with crops you choose; animals; different types of trees, etc. Your crops are chosen for the amount of money they will bring in and the amount of time they take to mature...same thing with the animals and trees. Each of us is a "neighbor" to the others and we have the ability to send gifts and earn extra money by working on someone else's farm. It's a very engaging game and quite a lot of fun as well as a challenge to see how quickly you can advance to each level.
And now I'm forced to deal with Lily (the furry little idiot that lives in my house). She sleeps all day and spends her nights getting into trouble. I just heard a loud noise that sounded like something was trying to get through the screen on my porch. Within seconds I realized it had to have something to do with her and I yelled LILY! She immediately answered me with a plaintive yowl from the general direction of the porch. (I knew it had to be her!) I soon discovered that Lily had launched herself at the screen in a bizarre attempt to attack some imaginary prey. Luckily she didn't break through the screen but she was very agitated...determined to get that unseen creature. I didn't see anything (and didn't smell skunk) with my flashlight so I hauled her silly fuzzy butt into the house. That's enough shenanigans for tonight. Lily will have to find some other form of entertainment for the evening.