Sunday, August 23, 2009

First Attempt at Set Back

I thought it might be fun to play set back. I thought everybody knew how to play set back. I thought it would be a snap to teach "the kids" to play set back. I don't know what I was thinking!
Here's my version of our card night:

Game night was arranged and all the high rollers were invited. One Eyed Jack (Jake) and his personal dealer, Slippery Sue (Stacey) were the first to be seated at the big table. They were joined by Mr. Hollywood (Justin) and his moll Candy Cards (KC). A fresh deck was brought out; the players were tense...waiting for Abby the Ace aka Cat Woman (Bunny) to appear. She likes to make an entrance so I wasn't surprised she kept us waiting.
Slippery Sue handed drinks around while I slipped into my persona...my paparazzi cover. In the dirty underworld of dice and cards I'm known as Panama Jane; card shark and notorious trouble maker. I'm not trusted in this crowd and the feeling is mutual.

One Eyed Jack and Slippery Sue are making polite conversation with Mr. Hollywood. Sue offers him a drink. He accepts while Candy Cards is shooting daggers with her eyes at Sue. I'm not worried at this display..it's the same at every game. Everyone denying the nerves that are twisting through their gut. Nobody trusting anybody else.

Finally Cat Woman arrives in a whirl of activity; all conversation stops...just the way she likes it. The cool eyes of Candy Cards are on her..as are the rest of us. Now the game can begin. But before the dealing can start there's another arrival..an unexpected attendee...part of Mr. Hollywood's entourage, Krystal Kate (Sara). Krystal Kate doesn't play cards. Krystal Kate doesn't speak. Krystal Kate just watches. She's Mr. Hollywood's muscle and she's a weapons expert. You can cut the tension with a knife when she pulls up a chair and sits down. I catch One Eyed Jack's eye and he smiles..a hard brittle smile. He's not happy either.

The game begins, Slippery Sue is dealing from the bottom of the deck and talking nonsense to cover, but I know her game; I know what she's up to. One Eyed Jack won't meet any one's eye and Mr. Hollywood keeps his sunglasses on. Candy Cards is muttering under her breath while I pretend not to notice. And Cat Woman is smiling...that sly smile that spells trouble for the evening. Stakes are high and the alcohol is flowing while hand after hand is played out and Candy Cards is pulling in the dough. Can it be that Slippery Sue and Candy Cards are on the same side here?

It wasn't long before tempers flared. Mr Hollywood slammed his hand down and accuses Slippery Sue of cheating while One Eyed Jack stares at him in stony silence. Candy Cards begins to sneeze while Cat Woman's mask is slipping. Krystal Kate is slowly reaching down to her lower leg..I imagine she's packing but I don't want to find out first hand. It's time for Panama Jane to stop the fire storm before it begins.

In a calm, cool voice I suggest a change of game...winner take all. The room goes silent. Slippery Sue is nervously sweating; Cat Woman is softly chuckling, her eyes lit up with excitement. Candy Cards looks interested and One Eye Jack is smug. Mr Hollywood is angry and not so willing to let go of that anger...but slowly he agrees. Krystal Kate eases back in her chair and we all breath a sigh of relief. More drinks are handed around...the players drink deeply. The game is to be Truth or Dare!

All these cut throats are in this game..each selecting truth. Secrets are revealed...explanations are blurted out; some are surprised; others are red faced; all are amused....until Mr. Hollywood chooses Dare. I don't have to tell you the evening turned dangerous at that point. And I won't tell you there wasn't some hesitation on his side when he heard the dare. But he stepped up for his dare and completed his task at hand. With his quarter tightly clenched and determination written on his face...he dropped his...guard, and minced his way across the porch floor. And all I can say to Mr. Hollywood is....I would have picked Truth dude! I would have picked Truth!