Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mashapaug Lake
















Mashapaug Lake is an old favorite haunt of mine. I've been going there since I was 16 yrs old. Over the years it's changed a bit and a LOT more people seem to know where it is now but it's still the cleanest lake I've been to. You can see right through the water and to the sandy bottom. (so you can see what's about to get you before it happens) You can also see the "attack fish" that slowly and carefully come closer to check out your feet when you stand in the water. They are punkinseeds or sunfish I suppose. A common fish for most lakes around here. But these fish have always amused me. They insist on checking out any feet that stand in one spot...their spot...for what they decide is too long a period of time. Eventually the boldest fish will always try taking a nibble. It always cracks me up when they do that. (I swear they have a surprised look on their faces when they do that) Like you could eat my feet dude! It kind of freaked Bunny out when they did that to her but I was expecting it...so of course, I didn't warn her either. ha ha
The pictures above are of the trails and the mushrooms we encountered and one shot of Bunny peeking from behind a tree. She made me laugh doing that so I had to get a picture of it.
It wasn't sunny enough for me the day we were there. The sun would tease us by coming out for a while, we'd get in the water and the breeze would start up while the sun ducked behind clouds. This kept happening most of the day. The water was just chilly enough for me not to want to actually swim...knowing that the breeze would be too cold once I got out of the water. So I got as high as my waist and spent some time wiggling my toes at the "killer attack fish"...who couldn't seem to remember they had already tried tasting them. Fish must have a 3 second memory. But they are cute just the same.
I had hoped to bring my inflatable kayak to the lake that day, but never having taken it out of the box, I had no idea how time consuming a job it was to inflate it. I left it in my living room...frustrated, but determined to get to the lake anyway. I did manage to blow it up (it comes with it's own pump) later that night. And now it's sitting in the middle of my living room. I guess I didn't think that one out before hand. I don't know where to store the thing. It's a lot more sturdy than I expected and larger too. I got it for free via a program through work and never opened the box until now.
Anybody up for some living room kayaking?? Bring your own attack fish!