Friday, July 3, 2009

Lockwood Donkey Centre


There is something about a donkey's face that just lends itself to humor isn't there? I mean when you look at that those two faces peeking from behind a large rock, don't you get the feeling they are planning some kind of ambush on some poor unsuspecting sap?








But then there's the picture of Henry...the single donkey in the other photo. Now Henry's picture says to me..I'm a sweet boy and you need to take me home. And that's what its all about at the Lockwood Donkey Centre on Hatch Lane in Surry, England. Yes, it's a real place!
I first found out about this wonderful place in 1985 when I found a small article in the newspaper about it. I cut it out and took it to work..mostly for laughs but partly also because my maiden name was Lockwood and this is exactly the type of thing I would love to open here in the U.S.
For years I kept that picture and article in my desk at work. I forgot all about it until some time last year. I came across the article again and I thought maybe I'll check the internet and see if this was just a fluke or what. Well, back in the 80's we didn't have the internet...yes, I know, I've lived through the dark ages. So it wasn't possible to get any more information on the place at that time; but I could now. And that's what I did. I found the website they have and I emailed them. I wanted to buy some of the mugs they sell with the donkey pictures on it and their name. Little did I know that the money exchange rate would be such a huge issue. I guess the exchange rate changes all the time so I need to look up the rate the day I place the order. And I never really know what the charge is until it posts to the credit card. That didn't sit right with me so I decided to send them a check for more than enough money and let them have any overage as a donation. I'll be doing that shortly.
I've often said that if you have the same last name you must be related, right? Well, I like to think that I may be related to the original owners who are now deceased. They were Kay and John Lockwood and a picture of them can be seen in the Hoof Prints Newsletter archive 2006 on the website under the title Memories of Lockwood. Take a peek.
And while you're at it, check out the website....especially if you are a Lockwood or related to a Lockwood. Then you too can imagine that you are related to the wonderful people that started this rescue place for abused and neglected donkeys! The link to their website is below: