Sunday, July 26, 2009

Carpenter Falls with the Gang













The hike today was to Carpenter Falls in Granby. I told you I love to hike and waterfalls are a special interest for me. Luckily these falls are rather close by so I didn't have to leave the house too early. My back is still holding up pretty well. It hurts but I'm able to ignore it as long as I'm moving.

My companions for the day were supposed to be just Sara and Kaylee but Justin and KC decided to come along too. None of them had been to these falls before. We packed our drinks; some blueberries and cheese and we were ready. But Kaylee wouldn't leave until I found her the "bear whistle". Since her and I came across two overgrown baby bears while hiking last year, she won't go hiking without her bear whistle. (That hike is a story in itself )I don't blame her a bit. It scared me almost out of my mind and I can imagine it was even worse for a 4 yr old. So Kaylee's got her whistle and we're finally off.

The hike begins with a rather long climb up a rocky drive. We had parked at the bottom across the road from Scottie's house. He's the Gordon Setter I met on my first trip to the Carpenter Falls with Bunny. This was the same place Bunny and I had parked. I was secretly hoping that Scottie would show up so everyone else could meet him too. Unfortunately he wasn't out and about today. Well because the walk up the drive was long and steep Justin made a point of noting each spot we could have parked that would have been closer...resulting in less of a climb. Well he was right but when I had first come here (with Allie) in my car the road had been partly washed out and there were some very deep ruts and large rocks to drive over and around. I didn't think my car could make it so I didn't try it. I guess that stuck in my head and I thought it was not really possible to drive up further than we had.

Okay, so technically we didn't have to hike as much of the uphill part....but if we had not walked it we would have missed the pretty shiny rocks; the tiny frogs that kept jumping around the puddles; the tiny bright orange mushrooms and the three salamanders we met in a large puddle. I think all those things made the climb worth the effort. (Kaylee agreed with me)

There's a bridge at the top of the falls and we all stopped there to take pictures. Kaylee and I went to the shallow side so we could feel the water. It was cold the last time I was there and it was still cold now. Then we started down the path that leads to the bottom of the falls. I pointed out items of interest to Kaylee as we went....tiny mushrooms; small tiny purple flowers; moss covered rocks, etc. I think my best audience is someone Kaylee's age. They are always interested in the same things that I am. (which puts me in the arena with 5 yr old I guess.)

I began to worry about getting Kaylee down to the bottom of the falls. I hadn't remembered it as being so steep and slippery looking. But I did manage to find a fairly safe way to get down. She held my hand as we side stepped our way down the moss covered rocks and around the large boulders and low hanging tree limbs. Kaylee took it all in...never faltered or doubted that she could make it down. She's a little trooper and such a budding naturalist! I couldn't ask for a better companion while hiking and it's so gratifying to have a little one that seems to be maintaining an interest in the natural world. She's been loving and fearless with most animals since she could crawl. We used to have to keep an eye on her for fear she would love one of our pets to death!

We made it to the bottom of the falls without incident. The cool air and the light spray from the falls was refreshing. Sara even managed to get down in one piece despite the fact she was wearing flip flops. We all started taking pictures. Kaylee was playing a soft tune on her whistle. Justin and KC had crossed the falls about midway up and were taking pictures from a different vantage point. They climbed down and crossed a large tree that had fallen across the lower end of the falls. I was having visions of Justin falling and breaking something but he didn't. KC did end up with a wet butt from schooching across the tree but she made it across safely and that's the part that counts. After all, if you come back from a hike wet and dirty you know you've had a good time!

The walk back down to the car promised to be anti climatic but at least not as tiring as the walk up had been. However, we discovered 3 salamanders in a large puddle and KC didn't hesitate to grab one for Kaylee to examine. I was surprised that KC was able to catch that salamander like she does it every day and I was equally surprised that Kaylee didn't hesitate to hold it in her hand. This one's not a squeamish little girl. Then Sara piped up and said she'd never seen a salamander in her whole life. That shocked me! Justin remembers turning over rocks and finding them in the woods behind my mother's house. And I remember making the same discovery in those same woods when I was a kid. How that experience managed to pass by Sara is a mystery to me.

Salamander's are cool little creatures. These were brownish on top and had bellies that were a soft yellowish/orange. (This is turning out to be a salamander weekend for me) In an earlier post I showed you a picture of a bright orange salamander. These guys were not what I was used to either. My previous experience with salamander's had been only solid black ones found under rocks. These brown ones were actually spending time in the puddle...they didn't seem to need to come up for air..at least not while we were there. I didn't know they like water like that. Now I'm beginning to wonder how many kinds there are out there.
Well needless to say, Kaylee loved him. And she was quite good at keeping him in her hand without hurting him. I tried taking several pictures but my camera seems to have issues focusing on small salamanders in little girls hands. Must be something in the directions about that.

You know it was nice that Kaylee (and Sara) got to meet their first salamanders but I can't help feeling there's a bigger issue here. With all the rain we've had this summer I'm realizing I'm seeing a lot more snakes (in my yard and garden); frogs and now salamanders. In the past few years I've been hearing that frogs have been declining. Maybe this rain is helping them (and their cohorts) make a much needed come back. Maybe all these rainy days have been worth it even though we don't enjoy them. In any case I'd like to believe that someone is enjoying all the rain.

And yet again it's raining outside now. I hope you enjoy it little guys. If this is your come back, take advantage of it. Make this wet and thunderous summer count for something!