Friday, October 16, 2009

Wounded Warrior Comedy Night

I went to the comedy night for the Wounded Warriors last weekend at the Elk's Club. (the 10th?) These days there is so much going on that I can't seem to keep track of it all. The evening was hosted by the Blue Star mothers who are mothers of wounded soldiers and the proceeds go to the Wounded Warriors program. It is a wonderful program and something that I may one day get involved with myself. I was very impressed with the speaker for the program (who's name I'm sorry I can't remember). They get way more involved with our disabled soldiers than I realized.

The evening started out a little unsettled. I wasn't sure who was expected to show up but I found Carol and Tom immediately...or they found me actually. There was some table switching going on for a bit until Tom decided he wasn't moving again. (can't blame him..it was his third switch!) Justin came with me. We both were looking forward to a little comedy.

We eventually decided we better get in line for the buffet. The line was huge! When we got to thefood it was pretty well depleted so new trays were on the way. Kathy was bringing out a big container of meatballs in sauce and when she put it in the tray holder the container somehow tipped and one corner was pouring out sauce all over the table; floor and unfortunately Kathy's hand! A couple of other people grabbed it and took over. Kathy beat feet to take care of her burned hand. Later she said it wasn't too bad but I bet it hurt quite a bit! Burns like that are no joke and they tend to hurt for some time later. Poor Kathy!

After the food it was time for the comedy. I don't remember the names of any of the comedians. (you shouldn't be surprised about that) The first guy was good. He got the crowd involved for awhile and it was funny. The second guy was ok..but not my cup of tea. Justin liked him the best. The third guy was the headliner and honestly he was the best of the three but he was no Dane Cook. (if you don't know who that is...well, you need to watch comedy central more!) I'm not saying these guys weren't funny, they were. I think it was their choice of topics that just didn't do it for me. I was hoping for more cutting edge humor I guess. Some of their jokes were stuff you might hear at any party.

I do have some pictures here from that evening. Some of them are pretty good but some of them are nothing special. I had some difficulty with the pictures because of lighting issues....or because I'm no expert with a camera...take your pick. I did my best to "fix" the ones that were too dark or out of focus a little. At least it's something to look at!