Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's All About The Beads



I went to the Big E tonight with Bun Bun. I should take a moment here to thank Bunny because she got free tickets from work. It was very nice of her to invite me to go with her. Thanks Bun!

I haven't been there at night in a very long time but I've decided I like it better than going during the day. It was cooler and the crowds weren't as bad. The only tough part was working all day first with a roaring backache from my volunteer night at the animal shelter. (Yes, I really work at the shelter. It's not just about playing with the animals.) The shelter had a mountain of dirty laundry that needed washing; another mountain of clean laundry to be folded and put away; two dogs that needed bathing before their surgery the next day and a host of other routine chores that I can't even remember at the moment. I think it was lifting the dogs that got my back irritated again and once it starts I'm usually in for it for a couple of days. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from going to the Big E.

When we first got there I think I scared Bunny by trying to get her to go down the giant slide with me. I would have done it too but the line was huge. I think Bunny was relieved when I decided I didn't want to wait in that line. She said she was afraid to go down it but I can't see why. You never leave the ground...it's not like you could really get hurt. Besides I still owe her one for the time she talked me into going on a Ferris wheel at the Broad Brook carnival many years ago. We ended up stuck at the top and gently swinging while the drunk attendant tried to remember what his job was. I never forgot that ride because I was so scared! You lucked out this time Bun, but I'll get even eventually.

We visited some of the state houses first. I always do that first. We bought fudge (of course!) and some hand made truffles. I sampled some cheese at the Vermont building but it was too sharp for my taste and they didn't have any smoked cheese. I love smoked cheese the most. I also bought a piece of maple sugar candy. You HAVE to buy that, don't you?
Bunny wanted some Ben and Jerry's ice cream so we stopped for some of that too. I had the black raspberry frozen yogurt and it was really good. We listened to a Vermont originals band for awhile...not to impressed with them. The keyboard and bass was a little too loud so you couldn't hear the vocals enough. The woman singer singing back up was really good but I could barely hear her. As we moved along from there we heard another band in one of the small bars playing Beatles music. Now that was more like it! We didn't stop in to watch them but we sang along with them as we kept strolling.

We were just in time for one of the parades too. Bunny had never seen one before so she didn't know they throw beads to the crowd. I moved up front as close as I could get and started waving and jumping around like my life wouldn't be complete without those beads! (one of my favorite things about the Big E). Well the beads that came my way were about to cause a struggle between myself and a young boy so I gave him the beads I caught. It wasn't until afterward that I realized that little stinker already had several strands around his neck. One more strand didn't make any difference to him but his father smiled and thanked me for giving them to him. So I didn't get any beads this year but next year I'll be right out there in front again. (smile) Of course, half the fun of it is the jumping around and waving your arms like a maniac. I think if you wear something eye catching they tend to throw more beads your way too. So next year I'm going shiny!

After the parade we kept moving, stopping at several little shops along the way in search of gifts for some friends and anything new and different. Bunny got a really neat multicolored glass decoration that glows in the dark, a birthday gift for Stacey. I would have loved one too but I didn't want to spend the money on myself. I know I'm one of those people that thinks I have to have it...only to wish later that I hadn't spent the money on it..so I talked myself out of buying one. (I excel at talking myself out of buying stuff I don't actually need)

One of my objectives for the Big E visit was to indulge in some foods I don't normally allow myself to eat. The first thing was the frozen yogurt...the smallest amount...not that big a deal. The next thing was some perogies. They were good but I thought they were small for the price they were charging. (isn't that always the way?) But the best and worst thing I ate you just won't believe....it's a food I NEVER allow myself to eat....something that most people probably don't think twice about but I do...it's against my rules and I rarely break this rule. Are you ready? Can you guess what it was? DEEP FRIED VEGGIES!! I absolutely never eat fried foods...ever! But tonight I chose mushrooms; onions and sweet potatoes for my veggie combo and the lady deep fried them all for me. It was fantastic!! The veggies were fresh; really hot and not too much batter. I couldn't eat them all but I ate most of it and brought the rest home for Justin.
And now I pay for that indulgence. I've got that heavy, uncomfortable feeling in my stomach and that intestinal rolling thing is starting to work itself up and I swear I've got a zit coming out on my chin already! But I don't regret it one bit. I haven't eaten anything fried in at least the last 15 yrs. and if this is all I have to deal with...well, I'm willing to put up with that every 15 yrs or so