Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nicki Is Sick

Nicki is sick and I can't figure out how or what is wrong with her. It started last night when I came home from taking care of Dad. It was late and Nicki acted a little weird when she went to bed. I didn't really worry about it because they play hard together and they had both been stretched out on Mom's kitchen floor before I left. I thought maybe she was just tired.

By morning it was obvious that I was wrong. Nicki wouldn't get up and didn't want to leave her pen. Considering what a chow hound she is this was very weird for her. I started to worry immediately. I did the rapid debate with myself in my head. Should I stay home? Should I take her to the vet? Should I wait a day to see how she is later? I hate these decisions. My gut always tells me to stay home and tend to the animal but I'm all out of vacation time and sick time at work. I missed a lot of work at the beginning of the year when Allie died. But that memory triggers the fear and now I'm really torn.

Luckily KC had the day off and she volunteered to keep an eye on Nicki and Bell for me. I had already missed my bus and had to hurry to catch the next one. The day at work dragged. I was worrying about Nick all day. When I got home she seemed worse. Now she doesn't want to eat or drink either and she just lays there. Taking her out to pee she was like an old dog...no spark there and obviously not feeling good.

I took her temp. It was good. I made food for them both and had to hand feed Nicki while she was laying on her side. She wouldn't get up to eat. I got most of the food into her...she loves chicken. Then I used a shot glass to get some water into her...again she is laying on her side. Her breathing is shallow and too fast..she looks like a dog that's dying.

I couldn't stand it anymore. I called the vet. My vet had gone for the day but there was another vet on call. Nicki and Bell don't have any history at this point..they've never been sick so I figured a new vet couldn't do anything wrong. I took her in.

Well the vet didn't know what was wrong with her either. He took blood to test for Lyme Disease...negative. (I had a feeling it wasn't that anyway but we had to rule it out). Then they took more blood and sent it out to the lab. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what that will tell us. Meanwhile Nicki is on an anti-inflammatory drug and it seems to have helped a little bit.

My gut is talking to me again too. I think she hurt herself somehow at Mom's house last night. I didn't see anything happen to her but whenever I take the two of them out together they both pull and go nuts on the way out. She might have gotten hurt on the stairs last night without me seeing it. My gut is telling me that she has hurt one of her hip joints and the blood tests will come back negative.

Lets hope I'm right and she is acting more like normal tomorrow. For tonight I'll be sleeping on the couch so I can keep an eye on her. And tomorrow I will take the day off (without pay) just to make sure she's getting better or to take her back to the vet if she needs it.

But for now I'm $259.04 poorer and about to make myself comfortable on my couch.