Sunday, October 13, 2013

Scantic River Park West



The first time I saw the sign for this trail I didn't think much of it. It was crammed in to a neighborhood area and very hard to see the sign. I pulled into the parking lot and was so under whelmed by the area that I turned around and left without investigating it at all. 
Months later I was back with Kaylee and a desire to 'be fair' and at least check it out. How bad could it be after all?
Kaylee had her new baby doll in tow so she was all set. I brought all the 'extras'...like water; knapsack; snacks; camera and the medical pack I always bring in case of emergencies....you know, the stuff you bring if you have room. 
The beginning of the trail was kind of blah but that didn't last long. Before I knew it I was saying wow and looking in every direction at once. This place was beautiful! Who would expect such a gem to be hidden away in the middle of Enfield? I was amazed. 

The trail led straight down to the river area where there was a bench (already occupied when we got there) facing the river and a sandy area to the right. There was just enough sunlight through the trees to make the place feel inviting and the sound of the river was another draw all on it's own. 
We walked all over the place taking pictures; picking up shiny rocks; checking out the frogs and mushrooms that seem to follow me everywhere I go. This place was turning out to be more scenic than the previous Linear Parks...or at least in a different way. 

We didn't take this trail with the strange "eyes" because it was getting late in the day and I wasn't sure how far we'd end up going. If I had been on my own I may have thrown caution to the wind and pranced off into the unknown. But having Kaylee with me made me NOT want to scare the child by having her find out Grandma doesn't always know where the heck she's going. Nothing worse than toting a scared little girl threw the woods in the dark. No, no, no....can't have that. She's one of the few people left who still think I know what I'm doing!