Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Farm Convention April 2010

I don't own a farm...never have. So on the face of it I had no business going to a farmers convention. However, it was a learning experience for me when all is said and done. Not only did I spend time with some great farmers but I learned that farmers are people just like us. They know how to work hard and they know how to play hard. They are a great bunch of people and I had a fantastic time.

Now when you see these pictures you may think that this place looks like the inside of a bar, (I did at first too) but you'd be wrong. This took place inside a PALACE! It was called Jimmy's Pizza Palace. I never met Jimmy all night and I didn't have any of his pizza but his palace sure is a fun place and a perfect spot to hold a convention of any kind.

The evening started off in an unusual way for a convention...some of the farm folk picked up some instruments they brought with them and started playing some real nice music. They were singing their hearts out and of course they had the entire crowds attention so I figured it's better than banging a gavel and making speeches.
It wasn't long before people started mingling and drinking, probably sharing farming techniques and swapping livestock stories all trying to outdo the other guys story. It got a little loud as the evening went on.
A cute little farmers daughter got up and belted out a few songs...and the crowd loved her. I imagine she's a favorite at most of these conventions. As the evening progressed I was drawn into different groups and I have to admit I was a little confused. I didn't hear not one word of farm talk or any discussion of livestock but there sure was a lot of laughing taking place.

A little later in the evening I noticed some Amish farmers had joined the crowd and a man that looked like he was a cowboy. I imagine he must own his own cattle ranch. He looked like a very knowledgeable fella and friendly too. The Amish folks seemed to enjoy his company a lot and he was always smiling. I've always heard about how beautiful the quilts are that the Amish people make so I was curious to see if they'd be talking about quilting squares and sewing tips. They must consider that stuff trade secrets because I didn't hear them utter a thing about quilts all night.

Eventually the cowpokes and ranch hands started filtering in with some of the local gals and this convention took on a lot of the qualities of a night on the town. There were people dancing in the aisles (I know because I was one of them); beer drinking; singing; laughing and joke telling all through the place...not a gavel in sight. All I can say is I may not have learned a darn thing about farm management but I sure had a great time! Can't wait for next years convention! Ride 'um cowboy!