Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cooking With Kaylee

Today I had a visit from Chef Kaylee. She was gracious enough to take time from her busy TV show schedule to show me how she makes one of her special Christmas candies and spend the day with me.

It was an exciting day. What a pleasure to have a famous chef in my humble kitchen! And she didn't waste any time showing me her her unique talents. I was very impressed.

The ingredients consisted of small twisted pretzels; chocolate kisses and M&M's (red and green of course). Chef Kaylee works fast and with the confidence of a professional. The pretzels were quickly spread out on two cookie sheets and each candy kiss was unwrapped with precision. The kisses were placed gingerly on top of each pretzel...making sure each was exactly in the middle. They were carefully placed in a 200 degree oven and one can only guess how Chef Kaylee knew the precise time to take them out. She just seemed to know when they would be soft but not too melted.

The cookie sheets were placed on the table and an M&M was pushed into the center of each kiss. When she was done it looked like a sea of green and red. Sweet and salty...what a treat! And so festive looking! The cookie sheets had to be placed in the refrigerator for a period of time to make the candies solid again. Fifteen minutes later it was sampling time and boy can Chef Kaylee sample!

She'd carefully select a perfect candy and nibble it, savoring the sweet and salty flavors blending in her mouth. And seconds later she was popping them in her mouth like it was a race to see who could eat the most!

A little while later her driver arrived so it was time to go. I insisted she take some of her wonderful candies with her...she had worked so hard on them. But I saved some for myself too. And while I eat them I'll dream of Chef Kaylee's next visit and the next wonderful holiday treat she will create for me. I can hardly wait!