Monday, June 15, 2009

Hey, do you smell smoke?






Weird things happening around here lately. For the past two days I've had the fire department here..tonight they brought their buddies, the police with them too.
Apparently the huge tree in my front yard has leaves and limbs that are touching the electrical wires. When they touch a particular wire (not sure which one) you can see and hear sparks of electricity and puffs of smoke drift out from the tree. Yesterday a couple was driving by; saw what they thought was a tree starting on fire, and called the fire dept. They came to my front door. I thought it might be somebody selling something so I didn't answer the door. I went to a different room to look out the window. When I saw two people standing on the sidewalk looking up into my tree...well, they got me looking too. Eventually there were three of us standing out there staring up into the tree. I never saw any smoke but I did hear the snapping.
I explained to these two people that I had called CL&P before about my other trees doing the same thing and they didn't seem very concerned about it at all. It took them 7 hrs and two more phone calls to come to my house. The guy said if the tree is alive it won't catch on fire, but he trimmed the offending tree anyway and left.
Yesterday I relayed all that info to the chief of the fire dept. He had a grin on his face the whole time I was talking. I apologized for the wasted trip but he wasn't concerned...said it was his job, no big deal. But he did tell me to call CL&P and tell them the fire dept. thinks the tree needs trimming.
Well I got home from work today and shortly later the fire dept was there and this time the police came too. Now picture this...I'm making out a grocery list and Justin says hey, who are those two guys standing by the side of they road staring at our house? When I looked, sure enough there were two firemen staring at my house..but no one came to the door and I didn't see a vehicle from that window. Take a stroll into another room and the entire picture changes. There is a huge fire truck; an emergency vehicle and a police car all around my house! My tree has alarmed someone else who called them again!
Long story short...CL&P showed up about 20 mins after all the emergency people left. I think somebody got a phone call..ha ha. Hmmmmm...7 hrs to respond when I called and yet only about 20 mins when the fire dept or police call! I guess the next time my trees are sparking I'll call the fire chief and ask him if he'll call CL&P for me. By the time the summer is over we should be good friends!
Today I finally got a look at the tree they trimmed. It's not the worst job I've ever seen but it certainly is not the best either. And there are limbs all over the place. I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of them...way too much for me to handle. No, my friends, they don't clean up after themselves! Little weasels!
Here is a picture of the tree from a couple of different views. I feel sorry for the tree now. I know what it feels like to get a bad haircut. Poor tree!