Friday, June 12, 2009

Farmers are interesting people

I follow two farm blogs on a semi-regular basis. I've found it's really interesting to know what goes on in the life of a farmer. The only thing I just don't get is that they seem to be able to interact with baby animals that will eventually be sold for food, without getting attached to them. I can't help wondering if that's an acquired skill or did they grow up that way or what? I mean it makes perfect sense not to get involved but I couldn't do it. If I ever had a farm (and I would love that!) I wouldn't be able to raise animals for food. Once an animal is in my life they are a friend...it just happens.

This first link is to a farm in Iowa. It's called Sugar Creek Farm:
http://www.osage.net/~themillers92/SCFBlog/scfblog.html
They sell beef, pork and chicken.

The second link is to a farm in Vermont. It's called Old Shaw Farm:
http://www.oldshawfarm.com/
They sell home grown veggies

Check them out. You might enjoy it as much as I do.