Monday, June 8, 2009

Gym Who??

Well I finally did it. I joined a gym. I've been a guest at Planet Fitness a few times and I enjoyed my time there. But as a guest you are not allowed to use the tanning beds....darn! So I bought a tanning package at one of the nearby tanning salons. I can't tell you how much I enjoy being in a tanning bed...and yes, I do go naked! It's so warm and relaxing in there and I get a feeling of complete freedom being naked in all that heat. It's a lovely feeling! So if you haven't tried it, give it a try...you might be surprised. Unfortunately they don't let you in anymore once your package has been used up and you haven't bought any more time.

I know there's a lot of bad news about tanning. But if you've spent your whole life as the lily white chick in the crowd you'd understand my desire to NOT be white anymore...at least not THAT white. I'm willing to settle for beige...or off white. So, I take it easy; do it in stages; has to be a slow process. And anything worth doing is worth doing right. I won't keep it up all winter (or will I?) but at least for this summer I've made the commitment to not be the one who blinds people with my white skin in the sunlight! Besides, I think there is a subtle prejudice out there against really white people. Have you ever heard someone say "Wow, look at that milky white skin..wish I looked like that!" No. But I bet you have heard "Wow, she's got a nice tan!" or something to that effect. Be honest, you know it's true.

So with the gym package comes the tanning beds and I can't wait. I'm signed up for the personal trainer too but I have my doubts about that at this point. All I really wanted was for someone to take me around to all the machines and show me how they work, give me tips on how to get the best results, make sure I know how to use them without hurting myself. (I excel at hurting myself) Basic stuff. But they seem to want to make a production out of it so I signed up. The part that bothers me is the "trainer" is NOT in shape...or at least not in any shape I would want to be in. Everyone has a shape..but this guys shape is decidedly round! It reminds me of the gym teachers we had in high school..all of them were fat and out of shape. How do they do that?

So my first night really consisted of a lot of time signing up; asking questions; getting my mug shot taken (in case I misbehave in that tanning bed?); picking out a free t-shirt that is only about 7 times too large for me; and signing up for the trainer. I did get a little time on a treadmill but the tanning beds were all signed up until the 9:20 slot and I wasn't up for hanging around just for that. So unfortunately the tanning lotion I put on earlier went to waste tonight. Not to worry, I'll be back tomorrow night and every night until I figure out the best times to get to use the beds. Wednesday is my training session...that should be interesting.

So I've taken the first step..I'm not a guest anymore..now I'm a real member! Next time you see a nicely tanned; toned and well dressed woman walk by, say HI because it could be me. (and if it's not, you'll make a new friend anyway).