Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ever Been to Kent?
















Kent Falls is the most beautiful set of falls I've seen in Ct so far. The pictures here are just a small sample of the ones I took. Some of my "peeps" are pictured here as well as some very unusual mushrooms growing on a log. I was introduced to mushrooms late in life and I've come love to eat them but somehow these didn't look like the eatin' kind.

The falls here were of course fantastic but the park was packed with people the day we were there. For some reason I didn't think it was as well known as it was...silly me. The surrounding park area was spacious and clean. Fishing is allowed and there was a solitary vendor selling hot dogs and ice cream. We opted for ice cream.

It is a state park so they charge for parking..at least on the weekends. We were able to park up the road a bit, in a field area for free. Saved ourselves $7.00 and the car was perfectly safe.

There is a trail you can follow all the way up the falls; a stairway made of cement material but it still managed to have an overall look of being "natural" and didn't detract from the beauty of the area. It's a steep climb even with the stairs and there are "stations" for viewing at various points along the way. These stations also enable you to catch your breath if you need it. Once you reach the top you can walk a short bit on a roadway and cross to the other side to follow the trail back down on the other side.

We saw a few young guys swimming in various parts of the falls...not allowed of course. And we watched the rangers (looked more like geeky young kids than rangers) go from spot to spot and kick them all out. Everyone that got caught managed to look sheepish, stammer some really lame excuses and left without any protests. It reminded me of my own experiences getting thrown out of Snipsic Lake (repeatedly) many years ago. My friends and I had excuses that were just as lame and getting caught never stopped us from going back and doing it all over again the following weekend. :)