Friday, March 16, 2012

Pods


Since we've had a few really great days this week I've taken to wandering around the grounds at work to soak up some sunshine. While in the back parking lot I discovered some very odd and interesting pods that I've never seen before so I scooped some up for Kaylee to take to school for show and tell.


A couple of days later I was in the front courtyard and discovered some totally different looking pods...obviously from a different type of tree but every bit as interesting as the first pods I found. I took some of them home for Kaylee too.



Curiosity got the better of me and I looked up the pods on the internet to see if they had a name. Everything I found kept directing me to the Sycamore tree. However...I didn't think it was possible for two totally different pods to be made by the same tree. Well the closest I can figure is the term Sycamore is used in reference to a 'family' of related trees. And these trees all have similar characteristics but are not the exact same tree....therefore they are in the same family.




These are examples of the pods I found. The pictures I took of the actual ones weren't nearly as nice so I decided to use these.