Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lutz Childrens Museum

Today I look my little princess to the Lutz Children's Museum in Manchester. It had been a very very long time since I had been in Manchester so I took a quick look at map quest before we left. It felt very odd to be in Manchester again....remembering all the people I used to know way back when. The ones I used to work and laugh with daily. Some of them aren't even alive anymore. It's sad how time steals these good times from you only to spit back pieces of it every once in a while. And it felt really weird to suddenly remember so many people and the tiny little snippets of outrageous fun that follows the memory of them. I wondered where they all went ...especially as I drove by what used to be the old machine shop I worked at when I was maybe 17 or 18 yrs old. (sigh!)

But Kaylee and I were on a new quest so I had to pack away those memories for another time. We found the Lutz with no problem at all but it didn't look the way I remembered it. Funny how time will change a memory like that too. I remembered a playground in the back near the parking lot but didn't see any sign of one now. And there's a pretty good size lake next door that I don't remember at all. How could I have missed that??!!

This trip was my Valentine's Day gift to Kaylee. I'm sure she would have rather had candy (at first) but once she got there candy never entered her mind. Of course it took a little bit to wake her because she'd sacked out big time in the back seat. She literally looked like a sack of potatoes too...all slumped over to one side, arms trailing over the edge of her seat. Should have taken a picture of that I think. (It's great black mail for when they are older.) So cute! And she woke up like a little sweetheart too, no grumpy gus!

As soon as we got in the door I noticed the gigantic stuffed bear to the right side. I remember that bear! Neither one of my kids remembers going to this place when they were young but Justin was scared silly of that bear for the first 10 mins...he was convinced it was going to follow him if he took his eyes off it. I pointed out the bear to Kaylee but she didn't seem too impressed with it. I think she thought of it as just a really large stuffed teddy bear! (although I've never seen a teddy bear with teeth like that!)

We went to the animal section first of course. Kaylee and I are both nuts for animals...I like to think she gets that from me. They had birds; turtles; fish and chickens as the first animals you see. There was a spot that said there was a possum in there but it was sleeping and refused to come out. And of course the groundhog was there but he too was sleeping. We moved on and saw the funniest bird! It was a fan tail pigeon I believe...very pretty and solid white. He kept puffing his feathers out and making his chest HUGE while he strutted by the window. Very interesting little fellow and definitely has an overblown ego. (Napoleon complex perhaps?)

Further down we came across snakes of different colors, a variety of lizards (or at least in the lizard family); frogs; small rabbits; guinea pigs and chinchillas. They were very active today and were obviously used to people watching them...not shy at all. Kaylee liked them. Then we turned another corner and came across the largest rabbit I have ever seen! It was gray with white fur underneath. It was a Flemish Giant Rabbit...very aptly named because that rabbit was larger than any cat I've ever seen and most small dogs! It was at least 5 times the size of a normal adult rabbit and again, very friendly...not shy at all. I think her name was Sabrina. Kaylee wanted to pet her but she was behind glass in a very large cage, so Kaylee made due with talking to her through the glass and telling her how very pretty she was.

After the animals we moved on to the activity rooms. They had a marine themed room with a large boat built right out of the wall and a mini submarine built below. There was also a train set up on the opposite wall with trains running constantly. Kaylee wasn't interested in the trains at all..she made a bee line for the submarine part and started climbing all through it. Then she made her way to the top of the boat for "fishing" and steering the boat out of dangerous waters...with a horn and everything!

The next room was a farm theme. Kaylee rode the pony and picked some apples for the farm stand. She even milked the cow! (a first for her). The cow was of course not real and instead of milk it gave water but the principle was the same and she really took to it! She sat on her little stool and drained that cow for 20 minutes! I'm looking forward to introducing her to real milking some day.

We viewed the children's art work along the long hallway and made our way back to the animals again. What a treat it was to find the groundhog was awake and patiently waiting for some food from the caregivers! They had a little side door open and he was watching them prepare his food. Such a stout little fellow too. And I was very surprised to see an arm come in there and pet him like he was a house cat! For some reason I didn't think he'd be that tame but he sure was. Kaylee wanted to pet him too and I have to admit I would have loved to myself, but the public is not allowed to touch him...just have to admire him through the glass. He posed for many pictures and let us watch him eat his carrots for quiet awhile.
But it got even better from there. Another caregiver had taken the giant rabbit out for a stroll while her pen was being cleaned. Kaylee was the only child in the area at the time and they let her pet Sabrina for a long time...and follow her around the hallways...and pet her some more....and follow her some more and on and on. The rabbit looked even bigger in person and Kaylee was having a ball! And I'm proud to say she showed no fear what so ever and did everything the girl said about petting and being careful with the rabbit. That rabbit made Kaylee's day!

When the girl was finished cleaning the pen and putting in new bedding Sabrina just jumped right back in like it was nothing. The pen was at least 2 feet off the floor and that rabbit jumped it with no effort at all. Then she splayed out in her pen for a nap. It was time to go. Kaylee sang songs all the way home. She is such a sweet little girl and it's so gratifying to be able to do something fun with her like today. I hope she remembers today but even if she doesn't I have plenty of pictures. This was the best Valentine's Day I've ever had!
(sorry this is so late posting )