Thursday, February 4, 2010

Forgotten Treasures











I've been inspired (slowly and sneakily...like snow melting in your shoe and you don't notice it right away) to dig up some of my old art work and post it on my blog. Throughout my life I've gone from one interest to another. People think these interests have gone by the wayside but really they were just sleeping; waiting to be rediscovered or waiting for a stiff wind to blow through my head (if it can get through my hair!)and blow the remnants of real life out of my way. It's easy to get caught up in day to day life. But eventually you reach (at least I am) a point where it's not enough anymore....a place where you wonder who the hell you were before all this "life" got in the way. I figure a good way to get back in touch with the spirited, fun side of me is to take a look at some of the "stuff" I've churned out over the years.

I remember doing a lot of sketching; sewing; clay work and poetry. Some of the sketches I will post; the sewing projects if I can find them (I tend to keep things that I liked at the time); but you will not see any of my old poetry. I've gone over it and it's just way too sappy...not me at all anymore so that will stay tucked safely away. (waiting for my kids to find it and have a good laugh some time after I'm gone.) At one time I was deeply into photography also but all of it was on actual film (am I dating myself here?) I don't have any way to post those photos and it's a shame because a camera can really capture your mood. Now a days it's all digital and that has it's uses...but I still feel that my film cameras took a better picture and actually caught the exact moment I wanted. I have a ton of photo albums upstairs that I refuse to part with ever!

I come from a family that is bursting with artistic talent. I have cousins that produce stuff that would blow your socks off. I am not cut from that same cloth. I FEEL much more than I am able to show in my work. (a frustrating issue with me) And I tend to have stuff in my head that I simply don't have a way to express. One of the things stuck in my head is a person...I want to make a person. I want it to be jointed so I can pose it and have some parts that are automated. It should be made of cloth so it's soft to the touch too. I want to make a wardrobe for it and set it up doing odd things in my house. I figure it would give my friends a shock when they come over! ha ha Just think how much fun it would be to have "my automated friends" dispersed throughout my house during a party! What a trip it would be!

Years ago I made several attempts to obtain mannequins from local dept stores. Twice some artistic soul got there before me and these days the stores don't even have full body mannequins. I guess I missed the boat there. I'm even willing to use just body parts...although that will take more thought if it's just a random arm or leg.

And then there's cloth...color...texture...blending...it's all there with beautiful fabrics. I have full pictures in my head that I've never even attempted to create with fabric. One of the best fabric displays I ever saw was in the emergency room at Hartford Hospital (of all places!) and I wanted so badly to just take it home with me. However, stealing art is frowned upon even at the hospital....which is surprising considering how long they make you wait there...seems only fair that I should be able to select a piece of artwork as compensation!

Ok...so enough blabbing here. I've posted something from my past for your enjoyment. If you don't enjoy it...well hopefully you will get a good laugh at least. Be aware however, that all of these are extremely old...from my high school days actually. It was the beginning of my interest in sketching and I'll readily admit there are many mistakes, but at the time I drew them I thought they were wonderful! ha ha The sketch of the woman's face is my mother...done from an old photograph...and I was never satisfied with it so I never showed it to her. I still have problems with faces and people in general. Maybe some day......