Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Baby on Board

One of my much loved cousins, Carolyn, is having a baby! She already knows it's going to be a boy and she has one daughter already so it's perfect. There is a lot of years between the kids so of course she needed to have a baby shower. Her three sisters pulled off a wonderful shower for her. Being of a mature age, I haven't attended many baby showers in the last few years. When I was having kids myself it seemed like someone was having a baby shower every week. I've noticed as you get older you attend more funerals and wakes than anything else so a baby shower is a very welcome event!

Jean, Sue and Pat did a great job making all the food; the cake; thinking up games to play and even providing grab bag gifts. There were individual gifts for some of the matriarchs in the family as well. It was a fun party and very well thought out. We don't get to see each other nearly enough and in the past year or so it's only been for funerals. So that made the whole party that much more special.

Jean made the cake and Heather decorated it. The message on it was God Bless Derek, so I said who is Derek? Jean said that's what Carolyn is naming the baby. Then Carolyn slid closer and promptly said 'actually Derek was the real father and he took off.' To which I promptly replied God Bless Derek! That was the beginning of the laugh fest. It seemed like one joke followed another all day long. I haven't laughed so much in a long time and it felt good! We took turns putting our own special slant of humor on the day by throwing out one zinger after another. Everything was funny...

Eventually I saw Sue taking pictures and remembered that's what I should be doing too. So here are the pictures from that day.
Oh yes, and the one solid red picture is a picture of Derek on the inside.