Sunday, September 1, 2019

Somersville Mill Trail


When the Somersville Mill burned to the ground some years ago they eventually cleared the area completely and created a trail thru the woods along the river area. Last winter I walked the other side of the river looking for the trail only to realize I was on the wrong side of the river.

Today I found the trail and followed it to a point and turned to come back the way I started.

I turned back when I came across a very healthy looking man in a wife beater t-shirt with a machete, hacking away at overgrown bushes. Not sure of how to handle the situation (it's not every day you meet someone with a machete in the woods!), I lamely asked if he was clearing the trail (what exactly DO you say to a stranger with a machete?). He barked back at me yes, do you want to help?

I did a quick calculation in my head: unknown man with machete; very fit with well muscled arms; wearing a wife beater t-shirt (ok, it's just called that but still...); voice sounds a bit angry....naw, don't think so mate (my inner voice became Australian for some reason). I had my dog of course (10 yrs old and more ornamental than anything else); a personal alarm around my neck (makes an ear splitting noise when activated but his machete wins that debate) and a message left at home telling where I had gone and what time I left (very useful for body recovery mission at best).

I turned around and went back the way I came. And no, I did not chance taking his picture before I left. He did not seem the type to take that lightly. P.S. He did a wonderful job clearing the trail.