Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Things That Are Collapsing





Today started off as an ordinary enough day....beginning of winter, slushy rain the night before which turned into a steady drizzle over night. It was just warm enough to create fog outside and when I noticed it I became inspired. I hurriedly fed the dogs and urged them to 'do potty' faster because I suspected the fog wasn't going to last for long.

I don't understand my love affair with fog; I don't even try anymore. I just feel excited when I see it and I want to try to capture the beauty of it on my camera. Fog has a way of making even the ugliest scenery look magical. And don't even get me started on a swirling fog....that's my favorite and rather hard to come by. 

So I threw on some clothes, grabbed my camera and rushed for the car. I had no idea where I was going but without having had at least 1 cup of tea before leaving, I didn't want to go too far. As I was driving I started wracking my brain for any place close by that may look nice with fog. I started heading to one of the local linear parks but was sidetracked before I got to it. I saw a farm in the distance, shrouded in fog, looking like it belonged in the opening credits to a movie. I aimed my car in that direction. 

As I got closer the fog cleared somewhat and the scene in front of me just didn't grab me, but no matter...I remembered a small ramshackle little structure that I had first seen many years ago. It was somewhere just down the road from where I was. I headed in that direction. By the time I got to the little structure the fog had cleared from around it if it ever even had fog around it. It sits surprisingly close to the road so any traffic going by may prevent fog from settling there. Now I don't know exactly what this little place is or was, perhaps some kind of old pump house of some kind? All I know is it's been there for years and years and it's slowly rotting and falling apart. It's beautiful!

I took a few pictures of it, wishing there HAD been fog surrounding it....I just bet it would look all mysterious and eerie! And then I decided to wander down any road that seemed to still have the most fog. That was when I started coming across the most delicious dilapidated looking barns!  (and one farm house that I just liked) And it took several turn-around's and pull-overs to get some of these pictures. I hope you enjoy them.

The rest of my day was taken up with online school and making a large pot of ham and white bean soup. Delicious!