Saturday, November 30, 2013

New Car

Sometime in August I think it was....I bought a new car. It's a Toyota and it's black. It's also a little used but that's fine with me because I could afford it and I really needed it. 
When I started driving it to work everyone kept asking me how do I like it and some asked me to show it to them. I still remain confused over these reactions to my car. I don't like or dislike the car...it runs fine; it saves me a lot of gas; it frees me to travel more. I have filled a need in my life, nothing more. It's no more impressive than buying a new stove as far as I am concerned. And when people at work want me to show it to them my reaction is to bring them to the closest window, point at all the numerous small compact cars that are in the parking lot and tell them it looks pretty much like any one of those only it's black. 

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I just don't identify myself with my cars. I eventually will form some kind of affection for the vehicle when I've had it for a long time. I'm assuming it will feel somewhat like a friend some day. However at this point in time I am still very much aware that I was forced to trade down when I bought this car. It doesn't have the ride or the power that my Buick had and that's a pretty noticeable difference. So while I've bought a car that is practical and saves me money, I have had to let go of a car that I had a deep sentimental connection to and that protected my bum from every bump in the road. 

My Dad helped me buy my Buick (pictured above) and at the time I bought this car I had no idea how much my life would change by the time I bought another car. For one thing I had no idea that the car would outlast my Dad and therefore become more important to me than it normally would or should. 
But you can only hang on to things for just so long and no longer. I had to get a newer car because I intend to travel a hell of a lot more than I have been. 
I donated the Buick to a place that sells the cars and uses the money for Veteran services. Dad was a veteran of two wars and a purple heart recipient. I'd like to think that he'd approve of the car going to help veterans.