Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mushroom, Fungus and What Have You

I have been told that I have a  mushroom fetish. Well that's just not true! All these photos came from our hike to the Indian Council Caves in Barkhamsted. 

Can I help it if these wonderful varieties of mushroom keep jumping in front of my camera?

They are so photogenic and interesting. Aren't they?

This one for instance is called Indian Pipe....and it's not even a mushroom. It's not technically a fungus. It's a plant that lives off the fungus that grows on rotting tree stumps. It's an amazing little plant and so captured my interest that my next post is going to be on that very plant. Don't shy away....it won't make you a mushroom fanatic just to read it. I promise. 

Now how could I possibly pass by a tiny little burst of perfect orange in the middle of all these shades of green??

And this little fella was just so darn DIFFERENT sitting there all alone on his own. 

Of course yellow catches the eye easily too. I'm beginning to think these various mushrooms WANT to be noticed. 

Pretty little button like mushrooms....so interesting!

Ok, this was just to see if you were paying attention....no mushrooms here. That's a tiny mass of bubbles forming at the base of a tiny little waterfall. Come on....it's cute!!

This one is obviously trying to imitate coral from the sea. They were all different sizes but always white.