Monday, June 10, 2013

Bar Harbor Nature Cruise

Not all parts of our trip were terrifying. We did take a great nature cruise in and around Frenchman's Bay. They showed us summer cottages of the rich and famous; eagles; mother and baby seals; some kind of black sea bird (possibly a duck) that is supposed to be related to the Loon and told us all kinds of knowledge about the area; the islands; the mountains and the rock formations. At the time I was very interested but also very 'distracted' by the huge ocean swells that persisting in making me wish I hadn't eaten breakfast. It was touch and go there for a little while. (yet another thing I didn't know about myself....I get sea sick!) Then I found that if I looked forward; held my upper body still and let the lower part of me 'ride out the wave', I didn't feel so bad anymore. I know that sounds weird...but it worked. If the waves weren't bothering you on the cruise the freezing cold wind was sure to have an impact. They handed out blankets for us 'Southerners' but that was about as effective at keeping us warm as a paper towel would have been. 

We did have eagles pointed out along the way. In the photo above, to the left of the highest tree, you will see a small white spot on top of a brown smudge. That white spot is the head of a bald eagle sitting in the tree. The nest was nearby but I couldn't make it out no matter how hard I looked. I wish I had a better camera for this shot because I was unable to zoom in anymore than this. 


This is an immature bald eagle flying through the air. We were told the immature eagles don't develop a white head for about 4 years. 

This is another immature bald eagle sitting on the rock ledge. He was watching the gulls (who were terrified and flew into the air every time he approached) but we were told that there is another type of bird that nests on the rock formations and the eagles eat so much of their young that its considered 'fast food' for the eagles. Our guide also said that the birds they have been praying on are extremely common (and bothersome to the general population) and no one was concerned that their young are being picked off. I thought that was a rather sad comment but Mother Nature does tend to do her own thing...it's not up to us what they eat. 

To the right side there are small white marks on the rocks here. They are baby seals laying in the sun while their moms are looking for food. To the left there are some adult seals too. 

Momma seal came a little closer to see what was going on in her neighborhood. I learned that seals in the wild are not easy to get a photo of because they are so quick. They pop up for a brief look then bob back under water and may or may not come back up again in that area. They are masters of the sneak peek. 

Another seal taking a peek at us. But this one was unwilling to really expose herself. 

I was lucky to get this picture. This is a momma seal with her baby seal just behind her. They take the babies out with them for awhile to teach them how to hunt and catch fish for themselves. Then they leave them on the rocks while they go looking again for themselves. 

This was one of the babies sunning himself on the rocks. I think we woke him up. He looks a bit confused....like he didn't know he had company. :