Monday, October 29, 2012

New York Botanical Gardens

I didn't expect to have as great a time as I did at the Botanical Gardens so my back up plan was to skip next door to the Bronx Zoo. (yes, skip!) I've been to the Bronx Zoo and I know I'd enjoy another visit there. As it turned out there was no need for an escape route. I loved the Botanical Gardens!

One of my concerns about visiting the gardens at the end of September was that I thought mostly everything in the flower family has gone by at this time of the year. Well, I'm sure the gardens are even more spectacular in the Spring and Summer...but even at this time of the year there is so much to see that it was difficult to get through it all in one day. And now I know that just because my yard is relying entirely on the die hard dahlia's to provide a bit of color, they are in no way the only flower or even plant that can provide color and intense beauty at this time of the year.

I'm posting some of the best flowers and plants I saw while I was there. And I have to say some of the photography is pretty darn good too...even if I am tooting my own horn! My eyesight being what it is now I was truly shocked to see how good some shots came out. I point; I shoot and I hope for the best. I never check what I have until I'm done. I was really lucky this time!  Enjoy!

Note: Since first writing this I ran into problems making a video of my photos so I'm posting still shots instead. And with that first frost we had about a week ago all my dahlia's have been killed. So sad to see them go!