Saturday, December 10, 2011

Really Big Squash

During the summer I often walked by this field with odd giant squash of some kind growing. It started off looking normal but they just continued to grow and grow to really huge proportions. Compared to the size of the rest of the field there was only a small section with this squash planted in it.

All summer I checked the progress of this squash every time I walked by that end of the field. I wondered what kind of squash it was. I wondered if maybe they were gourds. I wondered why they only planted a small amount. I wondered who owned the field. And I wondered what they were going to do with the giant squash.

At the end of the growing season that squash still sat there. It was huge and it just continued to sit there. The rest of the field was harvested and still that squashy end remained there on it's own. I watched to see what would happen next. And I waited....and waited....and waited.

Until one day I walked by and I was shocked to see that the squash had been plowed under! That beautiful huge squash...that could have used by local shelters...that could have been fed to farm animals...wasted!! Why??

Well I don't know why they did it but I will ask them why or I'll offer to take it off their hands if they plant it again next year. I was raised not to waste food or anything really. It drives me nuts to see all that food gone to waste. And if by chance it is some type of gourd that isn't supposed to be eaten...well, lets see that it gets used as decoration then! Anything is better than letting it rot in the field.