Friday, July 22, 2011

Spontaneous


I was going through the line at the grocery store, not thinking anything in particular. I felt quite normal as I loaded my items onto the belt. I bought ice cream on sale...stacked the little cups together as I tend to pile all like items together. I sometimes wonder if that's normal..but I've had baggers tell me they like that I do that. Then came the bags of frozen veggies and the other sale items and at the end of the line came the Cornish game hens.

I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I suddenly found myself laughing and telling the cashier that I like to make the Cornish game hens do a little dance before I cook them. I made the motions of dancing game hens with my hands in the air in front of us. He starred at me and I continued to tell him that I used to make them dance for my kids when they were young and now I do it for my granddaughter...only you have to be sure to not do it too much because then they seem like real little dudes and it's too hard to eat them. That's probably why our parents always told us not to play with our food.

There was silence...
I looked at him...he looked at me... and then we both started laughing like our guts were going to explode. I did the hand motions again and asked him if he could see the dancing hens? He laughed harder and said it's so nice to come across someone that isn't so serious or stressed out. I said you mean someone who's crazy? He smiled at me and I smiled at him. He said you have a great night and I said I just did. I hope you did too!

What a odd and wonderful moment.