Friday, October 22, 2010

Tyler's Welcome Home Party

Tyler (my nephew by my brother David) is now officially a Marine! And he's got the tattoo to prove it too. :)



It was great to see him and boy have they changed the boys physical appearance! He went in to boot camp a soft, slightly pudgy boy and came out slim, tall and confident...(I have no idea how they made him taller!) but they haven't changed that grin of his! He seems very happy and I really think it was the right choice for him. Of course we worry where they will be stationing him in the long run of course but you have to have confidence that he is learning all he needs to know to keep himself as safe as possible.


I had a talk with him about weapons...don't know how we got there but I do love weapons myself. He showed me a souvenir type knife that they gave him...not for combat use. It was really nice! All black blade with a multi-toned brown striped handle with the Marine insignia on it. Quite the handsome knife. He'll be learning more about some really serious weapons when he goes back. He's being sent to North Carolina for further training.



I have to be honest with you. I love all the armed forces. I think it really does make a man out of a boy. However, during times of war (such as now) I'd be happier to see an only son (like Tyler) in any one's family join up with the Air Force or the Navy...for safety's sake. The Marines and the Army are on the front lines. Most of us in my family only have one son (with the exception of my sister Bunny) and I just don't want to lose any of them. It's a constant fear I'm sure for anyone that has a family member in the Marines or Army.



So for now we will be proud and keep our fears contained...trust in the training they will give him and pray for his safety. I intend to send him as much home baked goods as he can handle as soon as he gets settled somewhere. When we worry about them, we send them goodies from home. It's what women do.