Friday, September 3, 2010

A Real Kayak At Last

I have a REAL kayak...finally! Never again will I use that ridicules inflatable thing! I'm done with it. Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with it. It's currently folded up on my garage floor gathering dust (and probably hoping I don't just throw it away). And I would just throw it away but I don't want it to be added to a landfill when it doesn't 'technically' have anything wrong with it. After all it does float...and it does spin...and it does have a mind of it's own once it gets a taste of freedom on the open water! And lets not forget there is a half a paddle that goes with it! Oh yes, it's much too great a treasure to just throw away. I'm going to have to find it a home of some kind.

But let me tell you about my new kayak! First of all it is everything I ever imagined it would be. It's easy to maneuver; reasonably light for carrying; an absolute dream to paddle; not to mention loyal; trustworthy and dependable just like a boyscout! I was able to put it on and off my car with a minimal amount of fuss and didn't need to invest in a ton of extras to do it. I did buy two blocks to cushion the car and I'll probably buy a couple new straps when they go on sale but the extra clothesline rope I had in my trunk served very well for tying the front and back to my car. (if that didn't work I was fully prepared to use the duct tape I also had in my truck...that's how desperate I was to have it)

My first excursion on the water with it was like a new world opening up for me. It was so freeing! I was able to cross to the other side of the lake and explore to my hearts content and able to nod a greeting to other kayakers without feeling like the fat sister in the ugly prom dress. Not once did I go into a spin. Not once did the wind decide which direction I was going to have to go in. Not once did my paddle indicate that it was wishing to explore the bottom of the lake without me. (the other one is still down there somewhere) And not once did I see anyone pointing; laughing or smirking from the shore as I went peacefully by them. With this one purchase (that I had been putting off forever) I have reclaimed my dignity and taken my rightful place among the many other people that enjoy the water on their kayaks. This is by far the best purchase I've made in a very long time. I couldn't be more pleased.