Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Remembering the Departed

September 3, 2009 was the 3rd anniversary of Philip's death. It is also the first day in what I call Hell Week...which comes around every year and never gets any easier. Hell Week is a week of anniversary deaths and terrible occurrences in my life and the lives of some of my closest friends and family. Every year I take one day out of that week to remember and honor those I've lost and those who have changed my life forever.

Philip starts the week with his death in Iraq. The next day is the anniversary of Helen Johnson's death (Phil's grandmother). The day after that is the anniversary of my fathers paralyzing stroke (occurred the day after Helen died). And it's followed the next day by my Aunt Dotty's sudden death (1 yr anniversary this year).

The original events didn't follow in that order but each one has fallen in place all in the same week. Hence the name Hell Week.

I don't know why things like this happen...coincidence...fate...karma? I have no answer for that. But I do take the time each year to bring flowers to the graves of people who meant something important to me. Mr. and Mrs. Bickford are in that group too but neither died during Hell Week. They started out being the parents of a boyfriend and ended up being very dear friends and a God Mother to my daughter, Sara.

Each of these people have been a corner stone of friendship and family to me. The loss of each of them created a hole in the security of my life and let in a painful reality that I had previously never known. They shaped my world while they were here... each bringing something unique and wonderful to my life. I will always miss them and I'm grateful to have had them in my life while I did.