Friday, March 3, 2017

Pictures from Crane's Hill





As it usually turns out, I found some pictures taken on Crane's Hill after I put up the last post. These pictures can't begin to capture the thrill of flying down that snow covered hill in deep winter. But maybe they will shed some light on why we all loved this place so much. 
Below here is my dog Charlotte when she was an adult dog but still young. I'd like to point out that she is not wearing a leash. Charlotte was such a wonderful dog that she didn't need to wear a leash. She never left my side and I took her everywhere with me. I would carry a leash in case the dog warden showed up but it was never on her....just wasn't necessary. 

This picture was taken at the top of Crane's Hill. There is a pine tree at the top first and foremost (right side of the photo) that dominated the hilltop but still allowed plenty of room to maneuver people, sleds, looky-loo's (people too scared to actually slide down the hill) and the occasional dog. We did not discriminate against a well trained dog who would jump on board for a ride down the hill. For that matter we didn't discriminate against the poorly trained dogs that would chase and snap at our sleds all the way down the hill either. 
This next picture was taken from the top of Crane's Hill as if you were about to go down the hill. It does not show the sudden drop you take once you shove off from the top. There is a steep and scary drop involved here that can't be seen in this picture. If I find any side view shots I will certainly post them too. 

If you look towards the top of the photo you'll see a building which is on the other side of the road. I think at the time this photo was taken it was a single family home but that place went through many changes as I was growing up. For a short while it was used to make picnic tables...when that didn't pan out they even made hot dogs in there for awhile. I don't know what it started out as when it was built but it ended up being a two family home. 

To the left in the upper section you will see what looks like two round white circles. That is actually the massive oil tanks that used to be there when I was a kid. I believe the oil tanks belonged to Hall & Muska (local oil business) but the property it sat on also housed the town garage. As kids we would haunt that town garage and poke our noses into every nook and cranny. There used to be a large barn (to the far left of where the picture ends) that was open the full length of the back side that faced the town property. The side facing the road just looked like a regular barn. 

The open side had what I'd describe as large open stalls where they kept a large store of rock salt; treated dirt and various types of large road equipment. There was also a closed area that was locked. I'm not remembering what was kept in there or if I ever even knew what they kept in there. There was also a mountain (and I do mean mountain) of sand kept behind the barn just beyond the dirt roadway that snaked from the paved road to the far back area where they had the dog pound. I don't think the mountain of sand was treated...at least I hope not because we spend hours upon hours playing back there. In fact one of my brothers once broke his arm jumping from that mountain of sand. 

And there were also large cement or cement like tubes that were kept stacked back there. I can only assume that they were used for drainage under roadways and things like that. They didn't use them often because they were there the entire time I was growing up and never moved or disturbed. We spent a lot of time hiding inside those massive tubes playing cards; eating candy; telling stories and sneaking the occasional cigarette when we were a little older and just beginning to rebel against the rules. Sometimes we'd jump on them and then jump from one to the other as fast as we could. There was a sense of freedom to that game and an element of danger too. Many of us went home with skinned knees and scraped hands but we didn't care. It was all part of growing up.  

The town garage is all different now. It looks much better if truth be told. The old barn is long gone and where there used to be mostly sand and small sharp rocks to cut bare feet there is now lush grass growing that is mowed regularly in the summer months. The oil tanks sat empty and unused for many years but are also gone now. In their place stands a three family condominium. The road way to the back is now paved and the dog pound has been upgraded as well. I believe the dog pound is now air conditioned in the summer....it wasn't when I was a kid. 

The cattails that grew in the swampy areas around the perimeter are still there. As long as there is a wet area they will always be there. Time moves forward and things around us change. It can't be stopped and although change can make you miss the old ways and the old scenery, in the long run change is good. The cattails are still there and so are the memories.