Saturday, April 28, 2012

Brimfield State Forest

When I went to Brimfield State Forest I thought there would be some damage from the tornado last year. I was not prepared for what I saw when I got there. I'd never been to this forest and I immediately felt I'd missed something wonderful that I will never get another chance to see. The devastation done by that tornado is so great that the forest will not be able to recover in my lifetime. I am certain of this and it makes me very sad...brings tears to my eyes.


Of course we knew about the tornado. We all watched the news and knew there were areas hit really hard. The section of Springfield where the animal shelter stands is still looking like a bombed out, war ravaged area...even now, a year later. I've noticed some new building and repair is beginning to take place but more buildings were simply torn down and now seem to represent a sad end to some historic old buildings. I am continually struck by the stark reality of the destruction that currently represents the main street area now. It disturbs me every time I drive through there on my way to the shelter but I can't explain why exactly. It just seems wrong that it can't be taken back...we don't get a do over with this...and the ability to 'fix' it and make it all better, that magical ability that we believed in when we were children, isn't represented here...just isn't possible. 

But as terrible as that may be it's the loss of Brimfield State Forest that hurts the most. Buildings can be rebuilt for the most part..not so for forests. I never fully appreciated the level of violence that must have been in play to do this to a forest, the terror felt by the people and animals of that town caught in the path of that tornado.  You have to see it for yourself, walk around the area, to get the full impact of loss.
I'm hoping that when most of the dead trees and debris are cleared away, that they might have 'a planting' party of some kind. A replanting of trees in the devastated areas. I'd like to be a part of that. 





 If you'd like to read an accounting from a writer (Sean Solomon )that grew up in the area...get his perspective on the disaster...this is a link to his article in 'The Sanguine Root'. 
http://www.thesanguineroot.com/?p=833