Saturday, January 14, 2012

80 Jarvis Street

We tried yet another new restaurant for our girls night out. This time it was 80 Jarvis Street in Holyoke, Ma. Ann had the duck; I had the scallops and Anne had the pasta carbonara. The desserts were chocolate bread pudding with a bit of vanilla ice cream and Boston cream zeppoles....which turned out to be like eclairs only fancier.



I often post pictures on Face Book for other people to see if they are interested. A short while before I posted these pictures I got a friend request from a woman who is a vegan and staunch animal activist. We viewed each others posts a bit; exchanged a few words and I friended her....mainly because she appears to be involved with a lot of protesting that I have always wanted to do. I was curious and I admired her.

Well shortly after my food pictures went up she went silent. I haven't heard from her since. I suppose it's possible that she was offended by the pictures...or the fact that she now knows I'm not a vegetarian...I don't know. Or maybe I'm making something out of nothing. I figure time will tell.

However way it works out I have no guilt. I have never misrepresented myself to anyone. And I'm not one of those people that claim to be vegetarian yet eat fish and chicken....which I think is just ignorance at work anyway. And although many animal rights people are vegetarian, and I admire them for their convictions, I have never been informed that being a vegetarian is a requirement for being concerned about the welfare and treatment of animals.
I eat meat and yet I still love animals and am concerned about their treatment at the hands of humans.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meat. I am however concerned with the way the animal is raised; fed; and killed for food. I support family farms and have joined a farm co-op to promote healthier foods; sustainable farming practices and clean animal products. I may not be a vegetarian but I still think animals have rights.