Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mullen Road

There's a certain road on the border of East Windsor and Enfield that I discovered long ago holds secrets. The road is named Mullen Rd and it has a condo development at one end and an Army Reserve center at the other end. In between there are a smattering of odd houses and a company or three. It's almost as if that road can't decide if it's a residential area or a commercial area.

It's not a particularly pretty area; in fact most of it is rather ugly looking. So why do I like this road so much? Why do I deliberately take this road whenever the opportunity arises? Why do I consider it a very special road?
Because of the wildlife on it. I've seen more wildlife on that one stretch of road (not a very long road either) than I have almost anywhere else in either Enfield or East Windsor. And I've had odd things happen there that just don't seem to happen in other places.

I've had a wild turkey sudden appear at windshield level, flying dead on at my face looking for all the world like it was a gigantic flying rock coming at me, only to have it veer off at the last possible moment and land in a nearby tree. I'm sure that was some kind of turkey version of the game 'chicken'.

Many times I've had deer come bounding out of the brush along side of the road with the soul intent of getting to the other side but all of them seem set on hearing my ear piercing scream while they do so. And now that I think of it almost ALL of the animals I encounter on that road are darting out in front of my car. Perhaps it's some kind of initiation zone or some type of elaborate animal game and I'm just not in on the joke. I've seen racoons; skunks; possum; ducks; geese; rabbits; large deer; baby deer; cats and chipmunks on that road and with one exception they all ran in front of my car.

The only one that didn't run in front of my car actually was running along side of it. I was driving home one night and I look casually to the left and find a very large dog running neck and neck with my car. I stopped the car of course and this big boy came right up to my window leaving huge nose prints all over it. I rolled the window down and asked him what the heck he was doing running with my car in the dark. I always talk to animals like I'd talk to people...especially if they are doing weird things like this. He just wagged all over and tried to climb in the car window with me. My dog Allie took exception to that seeing as she already claimed the back seat and wasn't about to share it with some strange road running dog. Besides that, Allie never really liked other dogs to begin with.



This dog really wanted to get in my car too. I realized he either was dumped from a car or horribly lost and thought I had come to take him home. Well I couldn't take him home with me. (but I sure was tempted!) So I pulled into someone's yard who just happen to be taking her dog out to potty before bed and we talked about the giant friendly dog. I explained about my dog hogging the back seat and not especially liking this gentle giant. (Allie was staring at me from the car the whole time...glaring at me really for even considering taking him home). Luckily for all concerned she was a dog lover too and he helped convince her by wagging all over and trying to play with her dog. Her dog wasn't much impressed either but at least he wasn't hostile. She took the dog in for the night and promised to call the dog warden in the morning. I was so relieved! I really had no idea what I was going to do with him but I knew I couldn't leave him on that dark road. I called the dog warden the next day and she had just called him herself. She was intending on keeping the dog if nobody claimed him. Nice ending for the big lug. I was very satisfied with that and I'm sure he was too!



Well I was on my favorite road again just the other day and saw a flock of wild turkeys milling around in one of the fields. I was greatly relieved that they weren't dive bombing my car this time. Judging by the casual way they so boldly took over this field and were wandering around in broad daylight I can only assume they have no idea how close we are to Thanksgiving.