Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Funny Bone


I've never been one to turn down free tickets...especially to a comedy show. When I was told there was a ticket for me I jumped at the chance to go. I always appreciate a chance to laugh..who doesn't?


I was a little surprised at how tightly they packed the crowd into the place...our table for 4 would sit 2 people comfortably. But that was just me being naive. Of course they would try to pack in as many people as possible...especially if you are handing out free tickets...they'd need as many people as possible to buy their average tasting yet over priced food and the slightly smaller than average drinks with the sky's the limit pricing. Ok, having slammed them on the food and drinks I'll stop there because the comedians were great!


The first guy up was quite good but it turned out that he was the MC for the night. If it was his job to warm up the crowd he did a fine job. The headliner was Robert Kelly...he was good...definitely made me laugh..but actually the sexual jokes got a little tired for me after awhile. More to my taste was the middle guy (better known as Tom Dustin). We all agreed that he was the best comedian of the night and should have been the headliner. How do they pick the headliner anyway?


I can't begin to do justice to Tom Dustin's humor...it's sarcastic and offbeat....and possibly a little mean if you're inclined to be easily offended. I'm not...easily offended that is. I thought he was wonderful! I didn't want him to leave the stage.
He's non-assuming in his person and throws you off a bit by seeming to be a normal guy...but I certainly can't call his humor normal...it's inspired! My face and stomach muscles actually HURT by the time he was done with his act.


After the show I joined the herd of women stampeding the bathroom and when I joined my group outside they told me I just missed meeting all the comics. I was so disappointed! But as luck would have it Tom came back out and I noticed him lallygagging against the wall...back to being non-assuming I suppose. We weren't really sure it was him so I told Justin to yell 'Tom' at him. Justin did and we got his attention..probably scared the hell out of him too because we descended on him like locust at that point to get our pictures taken with him. He seemed surprised that we thought he was the best comedian of the night...so of course we told him repeatedly...hey, it was the truth!


I'll be keeping tabs on Tom from hear on in...waiting for him to come back to Ct. If you'd like to check out his face book page here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/tomdustin


Send him a friend request and tell him Elaine sent you. :)